Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Subways explored

While waiting for the subway today, I saw the strangest "Not in service" train.  It was two cabins flanking a two long dumpster trains filled with tied black garbage bags.  It reminded me of an article a friend shared with me about the untold stories of the NYC subway system.

Forinstance, NYC transit has a monstrous sized vacuum that it deploys to suck up all the dirt and trash accumulate on the tracks.  In the past, they found things from mattresses to shopping carts.  The quirks of the subway.  I can't imagine NYC without it--it would be a completely different place without it.

The lady next me just turned on her kid sized keyboard and began singing a Spanish ballad.  A pretty good voice might I add.  I love street performers, and try to support noteworthy ones whenever I can.  This lady was really cute, she sang "thank you" "thank you" when people donnate to her.

Oh it's a long wait for the F to the D to Brooklyn.  Why am I going all the way to the end of the D line again??

The subway article:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4136/is_200401/ai_n9353492?tag=content;col1

No comments: