Thursday, March 12, 2009

reality is beautiful

Should reality TV characters reflect everyday folks? 

Girls are some of the harshest judges of other girls, "How did that girl get on TV?"  "She's ugly." "What happened to her?"  In my opinion, those simple comments, many of of them from my girl friends, undermine the advances that women's rights activists have fought long and hard for.  Aren't people on reality TV suppose to represent "normal" people, our average Joes and Janes -- it's "reality" TV.  So we shouldn't judge them on the same standard on which we hold celebrities.  I think normal people deserve kudos for having the courage to go on TV, to put themselves out there before the world.

On another level, constant judging of TV personalities become habitual and we as a society will begin to carry that judgment into our everyday lives and on to the people with whom we interact. Thus the societal standards for normal people reach unreasonably high celebrity standards.

Society is superficial.  We are a judgmental society, whether it's judgment by physical appearance, educational schooling, or family background.  I won't pretend that I'm above it all by claiming that I'm unprejudiced, because I'm biased as well.  

No comments: